- Böhm, M., and Popescu, V.D. (2016) Landscape ecology, macroecology and GIS methods. pages 298-314 in C.K. Dodd (ed.) Reptile Ecology and Conservation, Oxford University Press
- Popescu, V.D. and M.L. Hunter (2012) Assisted colonization of wildlife species at risk from climate change. In J. Brodie, E. Post, D. Doak (eds.) Conserving wildlife populations in a changing climate. University of Chicago Press.
- Popescu, V.D. and J.P. Gibbs (2009) Landscape Ecology and GIS methods. In C.K. Dodd (ed.) Amphibian Ecology and Conservation, Oxford University Press
- Popescu, V.D. and J.P. Gibbs (2007) Global Change: will a cold-adapted frog survive in a warmer environment? In J.P. Gibbs, M.L. Hunter, and E.J. Sterling (eds.) Problem-Solving in Conservation Biology and Wildlife Management, Blackwell Publishing
- Popescu, V.D., R. Iosif, M. Pop, S. Chiriac, G. Bouros, and B.J. Furnas. (accepted) Integrating sign surveys and home range data for estimating brown bear (Ursus arctos) density in the Romanian Carpathians. Ecology and Evolution
- Rozylowicz, L., A. Nita, S. Manolache, C.M. Ciocanea, and V.D. Popescu (accepted) Recipe for success: A network perspective of partnership in nature conservation. Journal for Nature Conservation
- Nita, A., L. Rozylowicz, S. Manolache, C. M. Ciocănea, I. V. Miu and V. D. Popescu (2016) Collaboration networks in LIFE Nature projects across Europe. PLoS ONE 11(10): e0164503 full text
- Yang, C, D. A. Schaefer, W. Liu, V. D. Popescu, C. Yang, X. Wang, C. Wu, and D. W. Yu (2016) Higher fungal diversity reduces CO2 emissions from dead wood in a natural forest. Scientific Reports 6: 31066 full text
- Popescu, V.D., Artelle, K., M. Pop, S. Manolache, and L. Rozylowicz (2016) Assessing biological realism of wildlife population estimates in data-poor systems. Journal of Applied Ecology 53(4): 1248-1259
- Sweitzer, R. A. , V. D. Popescu, R. H. Barrett, C. M. Thompson, K. L. Purcell, G.M. Wengert, M.W. Gabriel, and L.W. Woods (2016) Mortality risks and limits to population growth of Fishers in California. Journal of Wildlife Management 80: 438-451
- Murray, R., V.D. Popescu, W. Palen, and P. Govindarajulu (2015) Relative performance of ecological niche and occupancy models for predicting invasions by patchily-distributed species. Biological Invasions 17(9): 2691-2706
- Sweitzer, R., V.D. Popescu, K.L. Purcell, C.M. Thompson, and R.H. Barrett (2015) Population size, density, and demography of fishers (Pekania pennanti) in the Sierra National Forest, California. Journal of Mammalogy 96(4): 772-790
- Popescu, V.D., L. Rozylowicz, I. Niculae, A. Cucu and T. Hartel (2014) Species, habitats, society: An evaluation of research supporting EU’s Natura 2000 network. PLoS ONE 9(11): e113648. full text
- Souther, S., M. Tingley, V.D. Popescu, D. Hayman, T. Graves, M. Ryan, B. Hartl and K. Terrell (2014) Biotic impacts of energy development from shale: Research priorities and knowledge gaps. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment 12(6):330-338 [media coverage: The Guardian (goo.gl/FAZT0y), Vancouver Sun (goo.gl/79Ju4o), NPR] full text
- Popescu, V.D., P. de Valpine and R. Sweitzer (2014) Testing the consistency of wildlife data types before combining them: the case of camera traps and telemetry. Ecology and Evolution 4(7):933-943 full text
- Mikoláš, M., M. Svoboda, V. Pouska, R. C. Morrissey, D. C. Donato, W. S. Keeton, T. Nagel, V. D. Popescu, J. Müller, C. Bässler, J. Knorn, L. Rozylowicz, M. C. Enescu, V. Trotsiuk, P. Janda, H. Mrhalová, Z. Michalová, F. Krumm, and D. Kraus (2014) Comment on the “Opinion paper: Forest management and biodiversity”: The role of protected areas is greater than the sum of its number of species. Web Ecology 14: 61-64 full text
- Hartel, T., T. Sos, V. D. Popescu, R. I. Băncilă, D. Cogalniceanu, and L. Rozylowicz (2014) Amphibian conservation in traditional cultural landscapes: the case of Central Romania. North-Western Journal of Zoology 10(S1): S51-S61 full text
- Eck, B., A. Byrne, D.A. Patrick, V.D. Popescu, and E.B. Harper (2014) Effects of water temperature on larval amphibian predator-prey dynamics. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 9(2):302-308 full text
- Popescu, V.D., A.M. Kissel, M.M. Pearson, W.J. Palen, P. Govindarajulu, and C.A. Bishop (2013) Defining conservation-relevant habitat selection by the highly imperiled Oregon Spotted Frog, Rana pretiosa. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 8(3): 688-706 full text
- Popescu, V.D., L. Rozylowicz, D. Cogalniceanu, I. Niculae, and A. Cucu (2013) Moving into protected areas? Setting priorities for conservation for Romanian reptiles and amphibians at risk from climate change. PLoS ONE 8: e79330 full text
- Rozylowicz, L. and V.D. Popescu (2013) Habitat selection and movement ecology of Eastern Hermann’s tortoises in a rural Romanian landscape. European Journal of Wildlife Research 59:47-55
- Iosif, R., L. Rozylowicz and V.D. Popescu (2013) Modeling road mortality hotspots for Eastern Hermann’s tortoise in Romania. Amphibia-Reptilia 34:163-172.
- Popescu, V.D., P. de Valpine, D. Tempel, and M.Z. Peery (2012) Estimating population impacts via dynamic occupancy analysis of Before-After Control-Impact studies. Ecological Applications 22: 1389-1404.
- Popescu, V.D., D.A. Patrick, M.L. Hunter, and A.J.K. Calhoun (2012) The role of forest harvesting and subsequent vegetative regrowth in determining patterns of amphibian habitat use. Forest Ecology and Management 270: 163-174.
- Patrick, D.A., J.P. Gibbs, V.D. Popescu, and D.A. Nelson (2012) Multi-scale habitat-resistance models for predicting road mortality hotspots for reptiles and amphibians. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 7: 406-427. full text
- Patrick, D.A., E.B. Harper, V.D. Popescu, Z. Bozic, A. Byrne, J. Daub, A. LeCheminant, and J. Pierce. (2012) The ecology of the Mink Frog, Lithobates septentrionalis, in the Adirondack Park, NY, with notes on conducting experimental research. Herpetological Review 43: 396-397.
- Popescu, V.D., B.S. Brodie, M.L. Hunter, and J.D. Zydlewski (2012) Use of olfactory cues by newly metamorphosed wood frogs (L. sylvaticus) during emigration. Copeia 3: 424-431.
- Popescu, V.D. and M.L. Hunter (2011) Clearcutting affects habitat connectivity for a forest amphibian by decreasing permeability to juvenile movements. Ecological Applications 21: 1283–1295.
- Rozylowicz, L.*, V.D. Popescu*, M. Patroescu, and G. Chisamera (2011) The potential of large carnivores as conservation surrogates in the Romanian Carpathians. Biodiversity and Conservation 20:561-579. (* the first two authors contributed equally to this work)
- Ioja, C.I., M. Patroescu, L. Rozylowicz, V.D. Popescu, M. Verghelet, M.I. Zotta, and M. Felciuc (2010) The efficacy of Romania’s protected areas network for conserving biodiversity. Biological Conservation 143: 2468-2476.
- Popescu, V.D. and J.P. Gibbs (2009) Interactions between climate, beaver activity, and pond occupancy of the cold-adapted mink frog in New York State, USA. Biological Conservation 142: 2059-2068.
Manuscripts under review and in preparation
- Hunter, M.L., J.P. Gibbs, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Fundamentals of Conservation Biology, 4th edition, Wiley Publishing (due for publishing Fall 2017)
- Popescu, V.D., R. Munshaw, F. Montesino-Pouzols, W.J. Palen, E. Dubman, P. Gibeau, M. Horne, and A. Moilanen. (in. prep.) Quantifying biodiversity trade-offs in the face of widespread renewable and unconventional energy development
- Pop, M.I., I. Ruben, I.V. Miu, S. Chiriac, L. Rozylowicz, V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Habitat selection informing conservation planning for brown bears in the Romanian Carpathians
- Brodie, B.S., R. Iosif, L. Rozylowicz, A. Gavrilidis, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Saproxylic beetle diversity, occupancy and abundance in Romanian traditionally maintained landscapes
- Rich, M., C. Thompson, S. Prange, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Inferring ecological relations in a dynamic carnivore assemblage in Ohio using multi-species modeling
- Popescu, V.D., R. Munshaw, and W.J. Palen (in prep.) Using systematic conservation planning to inform run-of-river energy development in British Columbia, Canada
- Popescu, V.D., W.J. Palen, R. Munshaw, and E. Dubman. (in prep.) Learning from the past to inform the future: Ecological effects of small hydropower
Articles in conference proceedings
- Patrick, D.A., J.P. Gibbs, V.D. Popescu, and D.A. Nelson (2010) Multi-scale habitat-resistance models for predicting road mortality hotspots for reptiles and amphibians. Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Ecology and Transportation, edited by P.J. Wagner, D. Nelson, and E. Murray. Center for Transportation and the Environment, North Carolina State University.
- Patroescu, M., C. Ioja, V.D. Popescu, R. Necsuliu (2004) Noise pollution generated by road traffic in Bucharest, Proceedings of CODATU XI, Bucharest
- Popescu, V.D., S. Petrovan, R. Necsuliu (2003) Analysis of Vipera ammodytes distribution in the Iron Gates Natural Park. Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Environmental Research and Assessment (ICERA), Bucharest
- Necsuliu, R., V.D. Popescu (2003) Analysis of land use in the Iron Gates Natural Park using GIS methods, Proceedings of 1st ICERA, Bucharest
- Rozylowicz, L., V.D. Popescu, C. Tetelea (2003) Assessing the distribution of Hermann’s tortoise in the Iron Gates Natural Park, Romania, Proceedings of 1st ICERA, Bucharest
Conservation Biology, Conservation Letters, Ecological Applications, Biological Conservation, BMC Ecology, Diversity and Distributions, Remote Sensing, Forestry, Global Change Biology, Freshwater Biology, PLoS ONE, Environmental Management, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Acta Oecologica, European Journal of Wildlife Research, Wetlands, North-Western Journal of Zoology, Amphibia-Reptilia