Books and book chapters
- Hunter, M.L., J.P. Gibbs, and V.D. Popescu. Fundamentals of Conservation Biology, 4th edition, Wiley Publishing (due for publishing Summer 2020)
- Böhm, M., and Popescu, V.D. (2016) Landscape ecology, macroecology and GIS methods. Chapter in C.K. Dodd (ed.) Reptile Ecology and Conservation, Oxford University Press
- Popescu, V.D. and M.L. Hunter (2012) Assisted colonization of wildlife species at risk from climate change. Chapter in In J. Brodie, E. Post, D. Doak (eds.) Conserving wildlife populations in a changing climate. University of Chicago Press.
- Popescu, V.D. and J.P. Gibbs (2009) Landscape Ecology and GIS methods. Chapter in C.K. Dodd (ed.) Amphibian Ecology and Conservation, Oxford University Press
- Popescu, V.D. and J.P. Gibbs (2007) Global Change: will a cold-adapted frog survive in a warmer environment? Chapter in J.P. Gibbs, M.L. Hunter, and E.J. Sterling (eds.) Problem-Solving in Conservation Biology and Wildlife Management, Blackwell Publishing
Peer-reviewed articles (* denotes graduate and undergraduate collaborators)
- Iosif, R., M. I. Pop*, L. Rozylowicz , S. Chiriac, R. M. Sandu, L. Berde, S. Szabó, V.D. Popescu (accepted) Den structure and selection of denning habitat by brown bears in the Romanian Carpathians. Ursus
- Wyza, E.*, L. Dollar, L.P. Rahajanirina, V.D. Popescu and N. Stevens (2020) Spatial dynamics and activity patterns of the fosa Cryptoprocta ferox in Ankarafantsika National Park, Madagascar: Carnivores navigating a human-influenced landscape. Oryx 1:10 link
- Treves, A., Santiago-Ávila, F.J.*, Popescu, V.D., Paquet, P.C., Lynn, W.S., Darimont, C.T., Artelle, K.A. (2019) Trophy hunting: Insufficient evidence. Science 366: 435 link
- Bencin, H.*, C. Rose, S. Prange and V.D. Popescu (2019) Roadkill and space use data predict vehicle-strike hotspots and mortality rates in a recovering bobcat (Lynx rufus) population. Scientific Reports 9: 15391 link
- D’Amore, D.*, M. Morris, and V.D. Popescu (2019) Invasive process does not produce ‘invasive syndrome’ in Xiphophorus helleri-maculatus hybrids. Animal Behaviour 156: 79-85 link
- Weigand, N.*, R. Wagner*, C. Tonra, and V.D. Popescu (2019) Proximity to highways has limited influence on space use and physiology of terrestrial testudines. European Journal of Wildlife Research 65: 80 link
- Popescu, V.D, M.I. Pop*, S. Chiriac, and L. Rozylowicz (2019) Romanian large carnivores at a crossroads. Science 364 (6445): 1041 link
- Brodie, B.S., V.D. Popescu, R. Iosif, C. Ciocanea, S. Manolache, G. Vanau, A.A. Gavrilidis, R. Serafim, and L. Rozylowicz (2019) Non-lethal monitoring of longicorn beetle communities using generic pheromone lures and occupancy models. Ecological Indicators 101: 330-340 abstract
- Rozylowicz, L., Bodescu F.P., Ciocanea C.M., Gavrilidis A.A., Manolache S., Matache M.L., Miu I.V.*, Moale C., Nita A., and V.D. Popescu (2019) Empirical analysis and modelling of Argos Doppler location errors in Romania. PeerJ 7: e6362 full text
- Wood, C., V.D. Popescu, H. Klinck, J. Keane, R. J. Gutierrez, S. Sawyer, F. Atuo, and M.Z. Peery (2019) Detecting small population changes at landscape scales: A bioacoustic-site occupancy framework. Ecological Indicators 98: 492-507 full text (first 2 authors contributed equally)
- Rozylowicz, L., A. Nita, S. Manolache*, V.D. Popescu, and T. Hartel (2019) Navigating protected areas networks for improving diffusion of conservation practices. Journal of Environmental Management 230: 413-421 abstract
- Miu, I.*, G. Chisamera, V.D. Popescu, R. Iosif, A. Nita, S. Manolache*, V.D. Gavril*, I. Cobzaru and L. Rozylowicz (2018) Conservation priorities for terrestrial mammals in Dobrogea Region, Romania. Zookeys 792: 133-158 full text
- Rich, M.*, C. Thompson*, S. Prange, and V.D. Popescu (2018) Relative importance of habitat characteristics and interspecific interactions in determining terrestrial carnivore occurrence. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution 6:78 full text
- Pop, M.I.*, I. Ruben, I.V. Miu*, S. Chiriac, L. Rozylowicz, and V.D. Popescu (2018) Combining resource selection functions and home range to identify conservation priority habitats for brown bears. Animal Conservation 21: 352-362
- Pop., M.I.*, L. Bereczky, S. Chiriac, R. Iosif, A. Nita, V.D. Popescu, and L. Rozylowicz (2018) Movement ecology of brown bears (Ursus arctos) in the Romanian Eastern Carpathians. Nature Conservation 26: 15-31 full text
- Nita, A., S. Manolache*, C.M. Ciocanea, V.D. Popescu, and L. Rozylowicz (2018) Power, influence and structure in Natura 2000 governance networks. Can NGOs make a difference as protected areas administrators in Romania? Journal of Environmental Management 212: 54-64
- Popescu, V.D., R. Iosif, M. Pop*, S. Chiriac, G. Bouros, and B.J. Furnas. (2017) Integrating sign surveys and home range data for estimating brown bear (Ursus arctos) density in the Romanian Carpathians. Ecology and Evolution 7: 7134-7144 full text
- Rozylowicz, L., A. Nita, S. Manolache*, C.M. Ciocanea, and V.D. Popescu (2017) Recipe for success: A network perspective of partnership in nature conservation. Journal for Nature Conservation 38: 21-29
- Nita, A., L. Rozylowicz, S. Manolache*, C. M. Ciocănea, I. V. Miu* and V. D. Popescu (2016) Collaboration networks in LIFE Nature projects across Europe. PLoS ONE 11(10): e0164503 full text
- Yang, C, D. A. Schaefer, W. Liu, V. D. Popescu, C. Yang, X. Wang, C. Wu, and D. W. Yu (2016) Higher fungal diversity reduces CO2 emissions from dead wood in a natural forest. Scientific Reports 6: 31066 full text
- Popescu, V.D., Artelle, K.*, M. Pop*, S. Manolache, and L. Rozylowicz (2016) Assessing biological realism of wildlife population estimates in data-poor systems. Journal of Applied Ecology 53(4): 1248-1259
- Sweitzer, R. A. , V. D. Popescu, R. H. Barrett, C. M. Thompson, K. L. Purcell, G.M. Wengert, M.W. Gabriel, and L.W. Woods (2016) Mortality risks and limits to population growth of Fishers in California. Journal of Wildlife Management 80: 438-451
- Murray, R.*, V.D. Popescu, W. Palen, and P. Govindarajulu (2015) Relative performance of ecological niche and occupancy models for predicting invasions by patchily-distributed species.Biological Invasions 17(9): 2691-2706
- Sweitzer, R., V.D. Popescu, K.L. Purcell, C.M. Thompson, and R.H. Barrett (2015) Population size, density, and demography of fishers (Pekania pennanti) in the Sierra National Forest, California. Journal of Mammalogy 96(4): 772-790
- Popescu, V.D., L. Rozylowicz, I. Niculae, A. Cucu and T. Hartel (2014) Species, habitats, society: An evaluation of research supporting EU’s Natura 2000 network. PLoS ONE9(11): e113648.full text
- Souther, S., M. Tingley, V.D. Popescu, D. Hayman, T. Graves, M. Ryan, B. Hartl and K. Terrell (2014) Biotic impacts of energy development from shale: Research priorities and knowledge gaps. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment 12(6):330-338 [media coverage: The Guardian (goo.gl/FAZT0y), Vancouver Sun (goo.gl/79Ju4o), NPR] full text
- Popescu, V.D., P. de Valpine and R. Sweitzer (2014) Testing the consistency of wildlife data types before combining them: the case of camera traps and telemetry. Ecology and Evolution 4(7):933-943 full text
- Mikoláš, M., M. Svoboda, V. Pouska, R. C. Morrissey, D. C. Donato, W. S. Keeton, T. Nagel, V. D. Popescu, J. Müller, C. Bässler, J. Knorn, L. Rozylowicz, M. C. Enescu, V. Trotsiuk, P. Janda, H. Mrhalová, Z. Michalová, F. Krumm, and D. Kraus (2014) Comment on the “Opinion paper: Forest management and biodiversity”: The role of protected areas is greater than the sum of its number of species. Web Ecology 14: 61-64 full text
- Hartel, T., T. Sos, V. D. Popescu, R. I. Băncilă, D. Cogalniceanu, and L. Rozylowicz (2014) Amphibian conservation in traditional cultural landscapes: the case of Central Romania. North-Western Journal of Zoology 10(S1): S51-S61 full text
- Eck, B.*, A. Byrne*, D.A. Patrick, V.D. Popescu, and E.B. Harper (2014) Effects of water temperature on larval amphibian predator-prey dynamics. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 9(2):302-308 full text
- Popescu, V.D., A.M. Kissel*, M.M. Pearson, W.J. Palen, P. Govindarajulu, and C.A. Bishop (2013) Defining conservation-relevant habitat selection by the highly imperiled Oregon Spotted Frog, Rana pretiosa. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 8(3): 688-706 full text
- Popescu, V.D., L. Rozylowicz, D. Cogalniceanu, I. Niculae, and A. Cucu (2013) Moving into protected areas? Setting priorities for conservation for Romanian reptiles and amphibians at risk from climate change. PLoS ONE 8: e79330 full text
- Rozylowicz, L. and V.D. Popescu (2013) Habitat selection and movement ecology of Eastern Hermann’s tortoises in a rural Romanian landscape. European Journal of Wildlife Research 59:47-55
- Iosif, R.*, L. Rozylowicz and V.D. Popescu (2013) Modeling road mortality hotspots for Eastern Hermann’s tortoise in Romania. Amphibia-Reptilia 34:163-172.
- Popescu, V.D., P. de Valpine, D. Tempel*, and M.Z. Peery (2012) Estimating population impacts via dynamic occupancy analysis of Before-After Control-Impact studies. Ecological Applications 22: 1389-1404.
- Popescu, V.D., D.A. Patrick, M.L. Hunter, and A.J.K. Calhoun (2012) The role of forest harvesting and subsequent vegetative regrowth in determining patterns of amphibian habitat use. Forest Ecology and Management 270: 163-174.
- Patrick, D.A., J.P. Gibbs, V.D. Popescu, and D.A. Nelson (2012) Multi-scale habitat-resistance models for predicting road mortality hotspots for reptiles and amphibians. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 7: 406-427. full text
- Patrick, D.A., E.B. Harper, V.D. Popescu, Z. Bozic*, A. Byrne*, J. Daub*, A. LeCheminant*, and J. Pierce*. (2012) The ecology of the Mink Frog, Lithobates septentrionalis, in the Adirondack Park, NY, with notes on conducting experimental research. Herpetological Review 43: 396-397.
- Popescu, V.D., B.S. Brodie, M.L. Hunter, and J.D. Zydlewski (2012) Use of olfactory cues by newly metamorphosed wood frogs (L. sylvaticus) during emigration. Copeia 3: 424-431.
- Popescu, V.D. and M.L. Hunter (2011) Clearcutting affects habitat connectivity for a forest amphibian by decreasing permeability to juvenile movements. Ecological Applications 21: 1283–1295.
- Rozylowicz, L., V.D. Popescu, M. Patroescu, and G. Chisamera (2011) The potential of large carnivores as conservation surrogates in the Romanian Carpathians. Biodiversity and Conservation 20:561-579
- Ioja, C.I., M. Patroescu, L. Rozylowicz, V.D. Popescu, M. Verghelet, M.I. Zotta, and M. Felciuc (2010) The efficacy of Romania’s protected areas network for conserving biodiversity. Biological Conservation 143: 2468-2476.
- Popescu, V.D. and J.P. Gibbs (2009) Interactions between climate, beaver activity, and pond occupancy of the cold-adapted mink frog in New York State, USA. Biological Conservation 142: 2059-2068.
Manuscripts under review and in preparation
- Sperry, B., V.D. Popescu, E. Wyza*, S. Porter, R. Wiley, D. Cottrill* (in review) Assessment of wildlife-vehicle crash mitigation structures on the U.S. 33 Nelsonville Bypass. Transportation Research Record
- Thompson, C.M.* and V.D. Popescu (in review) Complex hydro-period induced carryover responses for survival, growth, and endurance of pond-breeding amphibians. Oecologia
- Popescu, V.D., R. Munshaw, N. Shackelford, F. Montesino-Pouzols, W.J. Palen, E. Dubman*, P. Gibeau*, M. Horne, and A. Moilanen (in review) Quantifying biodiversity trade-offs in the face of widespread renewable and unconventional energy development. Scientific Reports
- Yinqiu, J., C.C.M. Baker, L. Yuanheng, V.D. Popescu, J. Wang, L. Wang, C. Wu, C. Hua, C. Yang, C.C.Y. Xu, Q. Wen, N.E. Pierce, and D.W. Yu (in review) Large-scale quantification of vertebrate biodiversity from leech iDNA in Ailaoshan Nature Reserve, China. Nature Communications
- Kaunert, M.*, A. Travers*, V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Survival and habitat selection of head-started Eastern Hellbenders (Chryptobranchus a. alleganiensis) reintroduced in Ohio streams.
- Dyck., M.*, E. Wyza*, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Landscape structure predicts coyote-bobcat interactions across North America
- Pop, M.I., M. Dyck*, L. Rozylowicz, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Predicting human – brown bear conflict in rural Romania.
- Dyck, M.*, R. Iosif, B. Promberger, C. Promberger, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Factors influencing large mammal co-occurrence in the Romanian Carpathians
- Iosif, R., M. Dyck*, B. Promberger, C. Promberger, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Estimating Eurasian lynx (Lynx lynx) density using camera traps in the Romanian Carpathians
- Wagner, R.B.*, C. Brune, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Snake road mortality is influenced by land cover and traffic intensity in a road-dense area of US Midwest
- Sweeney, M.R.*, C. Thompson*, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Sub-lethal exposure to neonicotinoid pesticide Imidacloprid induces behavioral changes in larval wood frogs (Lithobates sylvaticus)
- Thompson, C.*, M.R. Sweeney*, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Carryover effects of sublethal exposure to pesticide Imidacloprid and shortened hydroperiod on juvenile wood frog (Lithobates sylvaticus) fitness and behavior
- Thompson, C.*, M. Sweeney*, M. Benard, and V.D. Popescu (in prep.) Interactions between pond drying and predator exposure on wood on fitness and behavior of larval and terrestrial wood frogs
- Popescu, V.D., N. Shackelford, F. Montesino-Pouzols, R. Munshaw, E. Dubman, A. Moilanen, and W.J. Palen (in prep.) Evaluating ecological and economic trade-offs between small hydropower development and species conservation.
ASSOCIATE EDITOR: Conservation Science and Practice
SENIOR EDITOR: Scientific Reports
REVIEW EDITOR: Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution
REVIEWER: Conservation Biology, Conservation Letters, Global Change Biology, Ecological Applications, Biological Conservation, Scientific Reports, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, BMC Ecology, Oecologia, Journal of Mammalogy, Wildlife Research, PeerJ, Diversity and Distributions, Remote Sensing, Forestry, Freshwater Biology, PLoS ONE, Environmental Management, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Acta Oecologica, European Journal of Wildlife Research, Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, Wetlands, North-Western Journal of Zoology, Amphibia-Reptilia, Endangered Species Research